Update January 14, 2013:
This program has been discontinued. It has some useful features but there are a bunch of problems with usability that are just make it kind of a pain to use. Also the engine is entirely XNA-based and I've only been working with OpenGL for the past year, so none of the XNA stuff has been getting updated. I'll keep it available for downloading, but just note that it's not going to be updated beyond where it is now.
Evan's Image Editor (EIE) is a free image editor that allows for the editing and creation of animated or still images.
It contains several GPU-powered image modifiers that take advantage of modern graphics hardware, giving you an instant preview of the effect while you
adjust parameters. It also has a non-binary selection system, allowing you to "partially select" pixels and apply drawing tool and modification actions
that perform weighted averages based on the selection value.
- Can work in layers mode or frames mode (use the pulldown at the top of the side
panel to switch between the two)
- Non-binary selection system which allows you to soften the edges of your selected pixel region(s)
- Animated GIF read and write support
- Animated cursor read and write support
- Icon and cursor read and write support - icon and cursor files can be
created with multiple images of multiple resolutions
- Can load frames from movie files
March 11, 2011:
March 10, 2011:
- Fixed installer so that it will correctly remove the previous version.
December 4, 2010:
- Primary color is now black by default and secondary is white.
- Removed some unused code.
- Some minor visual improvements for the image list.
- Added 9x9 box blur.
- Made speed improvements to "Selection from equation".
November 25, 2010:
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when loading a zip file with no images.
- "Add Text Image" window now shows font previews in pulldown menu and a few other aspects were improved also.
- Updated credits information (it was wrong previous releases).
November 20, 2010:
- Fixed a few issues with rendering cursors.
- Fixed a bug with adding to/subtracting from the selection region.
- Default image now goes away when files are loaded, provided it hasn't been modified.
October 30, 2010:
- Fixed a large bug in rendering blending states that affected the free transform tool and likely many other operations.
- Freeform selection tool is now anti-aliased.
- Fixed some issues with scroll position resetting after executing certain actions that shouldn't reset the scroll position.
- Removed Mandelbrot fractal renderer since it is not finished.
- There is now an 800x600 blank white image by default when the application runs.
- Fixed automatic update functionality such that the newest version can be automatically downloaded and installed.
October 2010 Version (Release 1: October 2, 2010)
- Zip is now the native format for EIE. Support for saving .eie files has been removed, although loading is still supported.
- Fixed permissions issue when opening animated cursors.
- Fixed a bug with the channel thumbnails render panel.
- Added the ability to close the document (in the File menu).
- Made a slight visual improvement to the image list.
September 2010 Version (Release 2: September 19, 2010)
- Improved speed of video frame extraction.
- Fixed bugs in Edit->Crop.
September 2010 Version (Release 1: September 6, 2010)
- Switched to XNA 4.0 for rendering. Graphics hardware with shader model 3.0 support is now required. SlimDX is no longer used.
- Switched to .NET framework 4.0 (from 2.0). This is the latest version and is required to run the application.
- Added conditional hue and saturation selection option.
- Fixed bugs in "selection from equation", added presets, and added a preview button.
August 2010 Version (Release 3: August 11, 2010)
- Added arrow tool.
- All modifiers that don't resize the image now properly obey the selection.
- Fixed a bug that caused normal-map render panels to not render correctly if they were activated before a 3D object rendering panel.
- Fixed sizing cursor render issues with free transform tool.
- Some other misc. improvements were made.
August 2010 Version (Release 2: August 10, 2010)
- Fixed a bug that caused a crash when executing certain modifiers with a non-empty selection.
August 2010 Version (Release 1: August 8, 2010)
- Fixed a major bug in the selection code that caused selection data to be scrambled.
- Put a regular scroll bar on the image list.
July 2010 Version (July 14, 2010)
- Application is now x86. The application will run as 32-bit even on 64-bit platforms.
- Updated to the June 2010 version of SlimDX. Future versions will likely switch to XNA 4.
- Some logic improvements in various spots to help usability.
- Fixed a crash when trying to load an invalid Microsoft Office file.
- Added support for more movie formats such as .MP4 (Windows 7 only).
- Removed WMVLoad.dll. All media loading is built into the application now and requires Windows 7 (might work on Vista?).
June 2010 Version (Release 2: June 30, 2010)
- Added hints to bottom buttons on side panel
- Moved the "working mode" pulldown menu to the top of the side panel
- Fixed a bug in the default open-files filter not including all supported types
- Fixed some of the hints based on interface changes (not all were correct in the previous release)
- Added the option to save ZIP files
- Added the option to load images from Microsoft Office files (.docx, .xlsx, and .pptx)
June 2010 Version (Release 1: June 12, 2010)
- GPU-based modifiers now create more memory efficient undo items if only a portion of the image was modified.
- Fixed problems with 3D rendering not working.
- A few other minor changes.
April 2010 Version (Release 2: April 3, 2010)
- Rewrote the brush tool and collapsed the square and circular brushes into one.
- Removed tertiary and quaternary colors. The application now has only a primary and secondary color, as most other image editors do.
- Added edge softening to ellipse tool.
- Added the option to prefer quality or smaller file size when saving an animated GIF. Also improved the quality of GIFs that are saved in layers mode.
- Added a minor change to the WMV loader that may increase frame timing precision.
- A few minor interface changes, such as larger tool icons.
- Removed the undo for loading new images if it is the first load into the document.
- A few misc. bug fixes.
April 2010 Version (Release 1: April 2, 2010)
- Fixed a crash when saving a file.
March 2010 Version (March 6, 2010)
- Fixed an RGBA to BGRA color swap when loading 8-bit images.
- Fixed several problems with the image updating system and related threading issues.
- The image list functionality has been rewritten. It is now hardware rendered and the icons are 64x64.
- Fixed a spelling error in the "selection from equation" window that's probably been there for over a year.
- Fixed the WMV loader so that if a protected WMV file load is attempted then it fails gracefully instead of crashing the application.
- Fixed some issues with the free transform tool that affected certain rendering devices.
- Fixed a bug in the updatechecker that would cause a crash when there was no Internet connectivity. Also fixed the update checker to consider the day of the month in the release (whereas before it just looked at the month and the year so it would not pick up updates that were released in the same month and year).
- Free transform tool now accepts key presses of A, W, D and S to move 1-pixel left, up, right, or down, respectively.
- Some other bugs were fixed.
February 2010 Version (Release 2: February 24, 2010)
- Updated to the latest version of SlimDX (February 2010).
- Fixed a bug in the point-morph tool that was causing images to turn black.
- The application now checks for a new version upon startup.
- Took out irrelevant hints from the hints tab.
- Took out some old code that wasn't being used.
February 2010 Version (Release 1: February 12, 2010)
- Added the "View Rectangle" control in the main interface.
- Removed the hints window and embedded it into the main interface. Other than windows that pop-up for modifier configuration, loading/saving, etc. the interface is now floating-window free. Some of the hints have also been updated to reflect these interface changes.
- Brush tool now draws continuous strokes when moved quickly. While this seems like an improvement, it may need more tweaking in the future.
- Added new cropping modifier to auto-crop completely transparent borders.
- Free transform tool now has boundaries that omit transparency when activated.
January 2010 Version (Release 2: January 27, 2010)
- Fixed a large bug that caused a crash when executing CPU-based modifiers on multiple selected frames of different dimensions.
- Rearchitected the CPU modifier system to handle empty selections as special cases for faster processing.
- Got rid of the image list window. It is now embedded in the main application window.
- Built and used an automated testing system to try to track down more bugs before making releases.
- Added undos for some items that didn't previously have them, and fixed some undo-related bugs.
January 2010 Version (Release 1: January 16, 2010)
- Fixed a bug that caused the image resizing algorithm to crash on 32-bit computers
December 2009 Version (December 5, 2009)
- Fix a bug that caused the application to crash when saving a single frame as a GIF
- Added small animation when processing
October 2009 Version (October 10, 2009)
- Greatly improved resizing algorithms to produce better looking images (for downsizing only)
- Collapsed MainPlugin.dll into EIEMain.exe
- Added "Stretch horizontal image section" modifier
September 2009 Version (September 28, 2009)
- Fixed some usability issues with the line tool
- Renamed some of the modifier base classes (will affect plug-in developers)
- Numerous other tool fixes
- Added alpha slider to fill modifier
August 2009 Version (August 19, 2009)
- Fixed a bug in the pencil tool
- Made an improvment to the drawing tools system that drastically increases performance for certain tools
- Reimplemented the line tool as software based and added the "rounded ends" style
- Changed flood selection tool icon
- Changed a bug where the tool cursor didn't show up when a portion of an image was selected
July 2009 Version (Release2: July 26, 2009)
- Fixed a bug in the "move up", "move down", and "duplicate" features in the image list window where a proper refresh did not occur in layers mode.
- Made some improvements to the CPU-based drawing tools system, which may increase speed and lower memory consumption in certain usage scenarios.
- Switched the rectangle tool to CPU-based instead of GPU-based and added a frame-only drawing mode for it.
- Fixed the paint bucket tool to obey the selection.
- Added an ellipse tool (BETA)
- Fixed a crash when using certain drawing tools outside of the image area.
- Fixed bugs in colorfade modifier and added a "Multiply" mode, which it now defaults to.
- Added the flood selection tool.
July 2009 Version (Release 1: July 1, 2009)
- Changed selection saving feature. Everything is under the selection menu now (nothing in the image list window anymore). You can save the current selection to the selection list and create selections from image channels.
- Changed the look and feel of the image list window.
- Added a hints window.
- Improved pencil tool to draw solid lines rather than scattered dots when the mouse is moved quickly during drawing.
- Added a preference saving system to save some options that the user configures while working with the application. This is expected to be developed much more in the future to improve the user experience.
- Added "Add new blank image to document..." option under "File" menu.
- Removed "Flip full image upside down" modifier since it did not obey the selection rules and "Flip verticle" does.
- Changed undo compression to happen asynchronously to improve (perceived) performance.
- Added a WMV video frame loading plugin.
May 2009 Version (Release 2: May 27, 2009)
- Added point morph tool
- Added undos for selection tools
- Added an animation modifier that generates frames to fade from one image to another ("Modifiers" menu, then "Animation")
- Added 3 channel swapping modifiers
- Made some of the undo items compress their image/selection data to save memory
- Added option to show/hide frame when working with free transform tool
- Made speed improvements to polygonal region code behind the freeform selection tool
May 2009 Version (Release 1: May 19, 2009)
- Combined code from HAPlugin.dll and MainPlugin.dll into MainPlugin.dll. Having one DLL makes the total size slightly smaller than the two DLLs together and results in having one less file to include in deployment of the application.
- Fixed an annoying bug where executing a modifier with an empty selection caused the entire image to be selected.
April 2009 Version (April 12, 2009)
- Changed selection feathering algorithm. Maximum feathering value is now 100 instead of 30.
- Added a specific cropping modifier that aims to crop all transparency out of an image.
- Removed built-in AVI support since it did not work on x64 or Win7 systems. A separate video plug-in is being developed.
- Other implementation alterations and fixes.
February 2009 Version (February 9, 2009)
- Added a free transform tool. This can move, scale and rotate any selected portion of an image.
- Changed the way layers mode works. Instead of each layer potentially having different dimensions from other layers, it is now enforced that all layers are the same size. This makes working in layers mode feel more like other image editing applications and reduces some ambiguity about where the user is able to use drawing tools.
- Improved selection feathing speed for small selection regions within large images.
- Removed the option to have layers with offsets and thus also removed the layer moving tool, which was the only tool that could change these offsets. The free transform tool can be used instead to move layers (as well as rotate and resize them).
- Removed the ability to have multi-frame layers/frames. The only place this was used was when you loaded an AVI file. Now, when you load an AVI a window pops up to have you extract the video frames.
- Improved the new image from selection feature (Edit -> Create new image from selection) by adding the option to create a new image of the same size or one that is the minimal size determined by the selection. The option is only available in frames mode.
- Fixed a bug in the contiguos white region counter
- Fixed some bugs with scrolling
- Added simple blur modifier
- Numerous other improvements
January 2009 Version (January 15, 2009)
- Fixed a glitch with hardware accelerated drawing tools where drawing in a region outside of the image caused an exception
- Added border option to rectangle drawing tool
- Right-clicking with the rectangular selection tool now constrains to a square
November 2008 Version (Novemeber 5, 2008)
- Added 3D graph modifier
- Fixed a bug in the image resizing code
- Added color occurence count info item
- Added hue burn modifier
September 2008 Version (Release 2: September 25, 2008)
- Added a copy function (finally): "Edit" menu -> "Copy". Does not preserve alpha channel.
- Fixed a 1-pixel-off innaccuracy in the render engine
- Fixed a bug in the GIF loader
- Added "Cancel" option to save prompt on exit
- Removed render thumbnails feature and replaced it with render panel layouts feature ("View" menu -> "Panel Layout"). This allows for multiple views when working with your image. Like the render thumbnails, this is only available in frames mode for now.
- Added bump map to normal map conversion modifier
- Added alpha adjustment modifier
- Fixed an issue where a system with multiple monitors of different display resolutions could cause unwanted render clipping
- A few other fixes
September 2008 Version (Release 1: September 16, 2008)
- Added "Convert alpha channel to binary (dithered)" modifier that creates a diterhed 1-bit alpha channel from an 8-bit alpha channel
- Also added a tolerance based alpha channel to binary modifier
- GIFs now save and load with transparency (loader is still not fully standards compliant, but should suffice for most average GIFs)
- Fixed "add text image" feature so that you can manually type in the font size instead of just choosing one of the preset sizes
August 2008 Version (August 16, 2008)
- Added some "mirror" modifiers
- Refactored all plug-in base classes to provide better organization (may make plug-in development easier)
- Rewrote undo system to allow increased flexibility and better maintainability
July 2008 Version (Release 2: July 24, 2008)
- Added a text layer option to the add button popup in the Layers/Frames list window (also in "Frame" menu -> "Render text to a new frame" and "Layers" menu -> "Render text to a new layer")
- Added a contrast modifier
- Added render thumbnails (under "View" menu, frames mode only)
- Added a size adjustment for the square brush tool
- Installer now associates .eie files with the application
- A few other random fixes
July 2008 Version (Release 1: July 2, 2008)
- Added reset button to brightness adjustment
- Some small rendering adjustments that may help the application run on older graphics hardware
- Added "Tile" modifier
- Improved paint bucket tool. Fixed a one-pixel-off innaccuracy and added an "alpha sensitve" option. Also added a tolerance pull-down option.
- Fixed line tool issue where it was drawing the line one pixel below the mouse points
June 2008 Version (Release 2: June 16, 2008)
- If the document has been modified, a save prompt is now presented before exiting the application.
- Added "infinite" option to line tool. This makes the line span through the mouse points all the way to the edges of the image.
- Fixed video deletion issue where you couldn't re-open a video after deleting its frame/layer.
- Animated GIF frames now load in a fashion more similar to how they are rendered on screen.
- Fixed a bug in the contigious white region count.
- Various other bugs were fixed and features added.
June 2008 Version (Release 1: June 11, 2008)
- Fix annoying scroll reset after doing certain modifiers and actions like clearing.
- Collapsed code from EIEum.dll into EIE.exe, removing it from the project. This was the last bit of C++ code. The project is now all C# which should allow it to run on 64-bit systems (untested).
- A few misc. features added or altered
May 2008 Version
- Image is now rendered centered within the interface
- Scrolling is allowed beyond the extents of the image, allowing for easier working around image edges and corners
- Middle mouse button now pans the view
- Improved speed of hardware accelerated drawing tool finalization (when the mouse is released the drawing action now completes a lot faster)
- Added a few more misc. features
- First release of version that uses GPU modifiers and drawing tools